At last the littlest royal’s name has been revealed, the couple waiting 5 days before they spilled the beans.
We have a name
“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to announce that they have named their son Louis Arthur Charles. The baby will be known as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge,” Kensington Palace just announced.
So what’s in a name? (Apart from a generous dose of CUTE!)
Prince Philip’s grandfather was Prince Louis Alexander of Battenberg. Prince Philip’s uncle was also a Louis – Lord Louis Mountbatten. Prince William has the middle name Louis AND Prince George also has Louis as a middle name! #AllOfTheLouis
Arthur is a name shared by both William (William Arthur Philip Louis) and Prince Charles (Charles Philip Arthur George) and perhaps could be a hat tip to King Arthur.
And of course Charles is newborn Louis’ grandfather, Prince Charles’ name.
Welcome Prince Louis
Little Prince Louis was born at 11.01am on 23 April. He weighed in at 8 pounds 7 ounces (3.82 kilograms) and Kate’s labour was thought to be close to 6 hours, although it is not clear how long she’d been labouring at home.
Prince William was by Kate’s side as she gave birth to this baby boy. The birth was announced with the traditional bulletin posted outside Buckingham Palace (and the less steeped-in-tradition social media and website postings!)
“The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 1101hrs. The baby weighs 8lbs 7oz. The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth. Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.”
Prince Louis was born under the star sign Taurus, a sign described as practical, ambitious, reliable and good with money.
Read more on Prince William and Duchess Kate:
- The team who’ll support Kate through her third birth
- The strict royal birthing rules Kate is expected to follow
- Duchess Kate gives birth to a baby boy
“It’s a great joy”
Prince Charles is apparently over the moon at having another adorable grandson.
“The Prince of Wales released a statement following the birth of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s third child,” Clarence House reps posted on Prince Charles and Camilla’s Instagram.
“His Royal Highness said: ‘We are both so pleased at the news. It is a great joy to have another grandchild, the only trouble is I don’t know how I am going to keep up with them.'”
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have left St Mary's Hospital in London with their new arrival, a baby boy. Their Royal Highnesses have thanked all staff at the hospital for the care and treatment they have received, and thanked members of the public for their warm wishes. This afternoon a notice was placed on the forecourt of Buckingham Palace following the announcement of the birth. The notice will be on display for the next 24 hours for the public to view. Find out more here > https://www.royal.uk/baby
The new little prince’s siblings also have names steeped in the required Royal history.
What’s in a name? Prince George
George Alexander Louis is known as His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge
George was born on July 22, 2013 at 4.24pm, weighing in at 8 pounds 6 ounces (3.79 kilograms).
- George’s name honours the Queen’s father, King George.
- His middle name, Alexander, is a nod to the Queen’s own middle name (Alexandra).
- The Louis part of George’s name honours Prince Philip (the Queen’s husband) and his grandfather, Prince Louis Alexander of Battenberg.
- Prince William (William Arthur Philip Louis) shares the name Louis with his son.
- And now George shares this name with his new baby brother, too!
What’s in a name? Princess Charlotte
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is known as Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge.
Charlotte was born on May 2, 2015 at 8.34am, weighing in at 8 pounds 3 ounces (3.71 kilograms).
- The name Charlotte is thought to be a tribute to Prince Charles.
- Elizabeth is, of course, to honour the Queen (Charlotte’s great-grandmother!)
- The Diana part of Charlotte’s name is in memory of William’s mother, Princess Diana.
- Charlotte is also Pippa Middleton’s middle name.
Weight for weight
- Prince George – 8 pounds 6 ounces (3.79 kilograms)
- Princess Charlotte – 8 pounds 3 ounces (3.71 kilograms)
- Prince Louis – 8 pounds 7 ounces (3.82 kilograms)
- Prince William – 7 pounds 1 ounce (3.20 kilograms)
- Prince Harry – 6 pounds 14 ounces (3.11 kilograms)
The line of succession
The newborn prince is fifth in line to the throne, falling in ahead of and behind some very familiar faces:
Reigning monarch: Queen Elizabeth II
- Charles, Prince of Wales
- Prince William, Duke of Cambridge
- Prince George of Cambridge
- Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
- Prince Louis of Cambridge
- Prince Henry of Wales (Prince Harry)
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York
- Princess Beatrice of York
- Princess Eugenie of York
- Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex