The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have quite understandably decided that enough is enough announcing that they’re taking legal action against a media organisation which has relentlessly bullied and made up nasty stories about Meghan.
Meghan sues the press
The company which owns the Mail on Sunday is the target of a law suit filed in Meghan’s name. She’s suing them for publishing a private letter she wrote to her father.
“Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Sussex has filed a claim against Associated Newspapers over the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018,” a statement from the Sussex camp reads.
Displaying a united front, an emotional statement by Prince Harry was simultaneously published on a new official website along with the details of Meghan’s legal action.
Harry speaks out
With the royal couple far from British shores (they’re currently on tour in South Africa with their son Archie) it seems the perfect time to tackle the gutter press discourse and their increasingly cruel attacks on new mum Meghan.
“My wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences,” Harry wrote.
“Though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.”
Harry noted that false and misleading stories have been published daily and sometimes hourly and it’s at the point where there’s no way to fight back and issue corrections, because the media venom is flowing at such a speedy pace.
“It is for this reason we are taking legal action, a process that has been many months in the making,” the Duke explained.
View this post on Instagram
Arch meets Archie! This morning The Duke and Duchess were honoured to introduce their son Archie, to Archbishop, Desmond Tutu and his daughter, Thandeka. The Archbishop, a globally respected figure in anti-apartheid movement, is one of the world’s great champions of equality, and has spent his life tirelessly battling injustice. Their Royal Highnesses have joined The Archbishop and Thandeka to learn more about the work of The Tutu and Leah Legacy Foundation, and see first-hand how they are focussing on global awareness of the critical issues affecting the world. #RoyalVisitSouthAfrica • Photo ©️ Reuters
“Lie after lie at her expense”
Harry noted that the positive press Meghan’s received over the past week highlights how unfair the previously nasty stories have been, especially when Meghan was pregnant and in the early weeks after Archie’s birth.
“They have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave,” Harry wrote.
“She is the same woman she was a year ago on our wedding day, just as she is the same woman you’ve seen on this Africa tour.”
View this post on Instagram
Following our tradition of rotating the accounts we follow on a monthly basis, for the month of October we are celebrating “community.” • Over the last week on their official tour to Southern Africa, The Duke and Duchess have had a poignant reminder of the importance of community – the sense of support and togetherness that is felt from feeling like you are a part of something that respects difference but also celebrates shared values for the greater good. Please let us know the favourite organisation in your community – one you enjoy volunteering for, or that makes you proud to be a part of – one that supports you personally in your everyday life, and that defines what you feel community is all about. Based on your suggestions we will then choose our new accounts to follow for October. Thanks so much and thanks for being a part of the Sussex community! Photo ©️ High Commission
“This isn’t acceptable”
Harry says that the time has come to take a stand, for their own family’s wellbeing, but also to very publicly strike back at bullying in general. The Prince says that it’s time to make the press accountable for their actions.
“I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in.”
“There comes a point when the only thing to do is to stand up to this behaviour, because it destroys people and destroys lives. Put simply, it is bullying, which scares and silences people. We all know this isn’t acceptable, at any level. We won’t and can’t believe in a world where there is no accountability for this.”
View this post on Instagram
“If an international ban on mines can be secured it means, looking far ahead, that the world may be a safer place for this generation's grandchildren.” – Princess Diana, 1997 Today in Angola The Duke of Sussex will retrace his mother’s steps to see the legacy of her work and how her connection with this community helped make the elimination of landmines a reality. In 1997 Diana Princess of Wales visited Huambo to bring global attention to the crisis of landmines and the people whose lives were being destroyed. Two decades later, the area has transformed from desolate and uninhabitable to lively and vibrant, with colleges, schools and small businesses. The Duke is humbled to be visiting a place and a community that was so special to his mother, and to recognise her tireless mission as an advocate for all those she felt needed her voice the most, even if the issue was not universally popular. Princess Diana’s visit helped change the course of history, and directly led to the Convention against Anti-Personal Landmines, also known as the Ottawa Treaty. Today, with the support of @thehalotrust, Angola now has a stated aim under the Treaty to be clear of known mines by 2025. Despite great progress, 60 million people worldwide still live in fear of landmines every day. During his visit today, The Duke will walk along the street which was once the minefield where his mother was famously pictured. #RoyalTourAfrica #RoyalVisitAngola Photo©️PA
“My deepest fear”
Harry invoked his late mother Princess Diana who was similarly hounded by the press in the name of selling newspapers – to her death.
He fears for his wife in the face of this thirst for stories and the dehumanising effect the negative discourse can have.
“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one,” Harry wrote. “Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”
Click the above to read the full statement at Meghan and Harry’s website.