If you’ve spent any time at all on Facebook, you’ll already know the power of the pithy gif. That little animated image that sums up everything you want to say on a topic in one hilarious moment. So it stands to reason that gifs are the great communicator when it comes to something as complex as labour and birth. Because if you don’t laugh, you just might cry, right?!
Here are the best birth gifs we’ve seen, all guaranteed to make you wince and cross your legs at the very same time!
1. When we lowered our expectations
Birth story daydreams include classical music, someone mopping our brow and an intact pelvic floor. The reality was a little more like this …
2. When we were misled
The lady at the prenatal class assured us that panting and blowing and thinking about the deep, cool sea would help – and now we want our money back; she was a freaking liar.
3. When our nether regions resemble forests
Who knew our pubic hair could become that thick and luscious?
4. When it was easy as one, two, three! Wait. What?
Um. Actually. No. Further proof that the portrayal of birth on screen is a gosh-darned lie. Who posted this one?! Get on the naughty step!
5. When we were breaking
This is going on forever and we just want it to be over.
6. When our genitals were everybody’s favourite thing
Take a picture – it lasts longer.
7. When it’s like sands through the hourglass
We had heard the stories about long labours, but this is ridiculous.
8. When you just want everyone to let you push out a watermelon in peace
But the entire hospital staff (including the ones ‘in training’) want to see your baby’s birth/your vagina.
9. When things are a bit of a squeeze
And this popped into your head when you heard the word ‘forceps’.
10. When we changed our minds
Because things are taking a really long time and we can’t even anymore.
11. When we didn’t mean that thing we said about natural childbirth
Because when they said pain, we didn’t think they meant that sort of pain.
12. When it was really, really hurting
That sort of pain! Argh.
13. When you could really go a stiff drink
This is NOT what we signed up for …
14. When all the emotions are happening
It’s just a lot, you know? We’re having some feelings.
15. I can’t even. Make it stop.
When we realise that we will be in labour for the rest of our lives.