More than a humble hot dog, give frankfurts a spookily cute Halloween makeover using ribbons of puff pastry!
Creating mummified frankfurts is super easy with these few fridge and freezer ingredients. Eyes are made using a slice of cheese and black sesame seeds, but if you don’t have any black sesame seeds, try cutting an olive, a sultana or just dotting eyes with mustard.
- Makes : 8
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
Halloween mummy frankfurts recipe
- 8 frankfurt sausages
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
- For eyes - a slice of cheese and black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the sheets of puff pastry into ribbons just over a centimetre wide.
- Wrap the pastry ribbons around the top and bottom of the uncooked frankfurt, leaving a gap for eyes. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry starts to turn gold - don't leave in too long or you'll risk the franks bursting (side note - still delicious!).
- While the franks are baking, create your eyes. Cut small circles with a paring knife (or use a straw) and place a sesame seed on each round.
- Once franks are removed from the oven, place the eyes on while still hot so they stick. Serve with tomato sauce to dip!
MORE fun Halloween recipes to try:
- Jelly worms in Oreo dirt
- 10-minute spooky pizza
- Chocolate spider cupcakes
- Oreo mummies
- Apple monsters
- How to turn any cupcakes into a fun Halloween treat
This recipe was originally published on 1 September, 2017