A trick and a treat. Here’s a jelly and ice cream dessert which looks so gruesome, it’s awesome. Imagine the kids’ faces when you present them with a bowl of jelly worms in delicious Oreo dirt – how deliciously disgusting!
A labour of love, these worms are definitely worth the sticky fiddling about. Make them ghastly and realistic as I have here, or make them colourful and fun, it’s up to you (and best stick with what you think your kids will stomach!).
- Prep time : 15 mins
Halloween jelly worms in Oreo dirt and ice cream recipe
- plastic drinking straws
- 5 x Oreo biscuits
- 2 x 85g raspberry jelly
- ¾ cup thickened cream
- 2½ tbs gelatine powder
- green food colouring
- ice cream to serve
- 3 cups boiling water
- In a jug, combine the jelly crystals and gelatine powder.
- Pour in the boiling water and stir until the crystals have dissolved. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool a little.
- In the meantime, gather your straws and find a tall container which will hold the straws upright and in a snug fit. If using flexible neck straws, stretch them out so they're straight. Use a few rubber bands to hold the straws together and wrap the bottom in plastic wrap. Place upright in the container.
- Add the cream to the gelatine mix, this makes the worms opaque. Tint the pink colour with a drop of green food colouring.
- Prepare to get messy. In a thin stream, pour the jelly mix over the straws. Excess jelly will run into the container, alas this can't be helped. Put in the fridge overnight or until set.
- While waiting for the jelly to set, scrape the inside out of the Oreo biscuits and crush them up. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- Once set, over the kitchen sink, run the outside of the container under a thin stream of lukewarm water so the excess jelly and straws can be gently removed. Peel away the plastic wrap and discard the excess jelly.
- On a clean bench or plate, placing the blunt edge of a butter knife on top of the straw, pull the straw through, pushing the jelly worm out. If the worm breaks, it's fine, they'll look all the same when you're finished!
- Toss your worms in the Oreo dirt and keep refrigerated between batches of "hatching" the worms. Serve with a scoop of ice cream, cover with your Oreo dirt and a sprinkling of jelly worms. How ghastly and yummy!