More than a humble hot dog, give frankfurts a spookily cute Halloween makeover using ribbons of puff pastry!
Creating mummified frankfurts is super easy with these few fridge and freezer ingredients. Eyes are made using a slice of cheese and black sesame seeds, but if you don’t have any black sesame seeds, try cutting an olive, a sultana or just dotting eyes with mustard.
8 frankfurt sausages
2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
For eyes – a slice of cheese and black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the sheets of puff pastry into ribbons just over a centimetre wide.
- Wrap the pastry ribbons around the top and bottom of the uncooked frankfurt, leaving a gap for eyes. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry starts to turn gold – don’t leave in too long or you’ll risk the franks bursting (side note – still delicious!).
- While the franks are baking, create your eyes. Cut small circles with a paring knife (or use a straw) and place a sesame seed on each round.
- Once franks are removed from the oven, place the eyes on while still hot so they stick. Serve with tomato sauce to dip!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.
Don’t miss our Chocolate Halloween spider cupcakes recipe and our Spooky Halloween jelly worms in Oreo dirt and ice cream recipe.