It can be hard to explain the range of emotions you go through when you have a new baby on the way and an older child about to become a sibling for the first time.
First there is a sense of accomplishment at giving them a playmate and then there’s the mummy (and daddy) guilt knowing they will soon have to share your attention.
You begin to imagine the mix of excitement and jealousy you are about to bring into your home.
One way to prepare a child to become a big brother or sister is through books and we have found some great options.
Books are a great way to start any conversation with a child, creating an opportunity to address any concerns or questions they have.
There are many books that really speak to children, explaining how their world is about to change and reassuring them of their place.
MORE Entertainment and Technology
There are also some great titles to consider when introducing books to baby.
Books to help answer their many questions
- There’s A House Inside My Mummy
- Waiting For Baby
- What To Expect When The New Baby Comes Home
- Mummy, Mummy, What’s In Your Tummy?
- There’s Going To Be A Baby
- A New Baby Is Coming! : A Guide for a Big Brother or Sister
Books addressing changes after baby arrives
- You and Me
- What Sisters Do Best/What Brothers Do Best
- The Perfect Baby
- Snuggle The Baby
- The New Baby
Books to read to baby
- Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
- Head, Shoulders, Knees And Toes
- Time For Bed
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Guess How Much I Love You
We would love to know what books you found useful when introducing a new baby to your little ones.