Mum Katie Gorter has taken to social media to warn other parents of the dangers of bath water after her little girl became seriously ill after ingesting too much during bath time.
Bath water prompts ER visit
It’s a situation lots of other parents might have thought nothing of. Lots of little ones cheekily enjoy drinking bath water, but this family’s experience proves that it’s definitely not harmless and is actually something you should discourage.
“Water intoxication is very real and can happen so easily!!” Katie confirmed on Facebook. “Please only offer babies 6-12 months no more than 2oz [60 ml] of water in a 24 hour period!! Babies younger than 6 months cannot have any at all!”
She went on to explain that after drinking bath water, her daughter became very ill, fairly quickly.
“Yesterday she discovered she could drink the bath water. I didn’t think much of it at the time and later ended up rushing her to the ER. She became lethargic, started vomiting, and then was struggling to breathe! She had so much water in her it was compressing her lungs!”
Katie says it took some time for the little girl to recover, and she’s now very keen to warn other parents of the dangers of those sneaky – and not so sneaky – sips. Because it’s not just bath water that is a problem for babies, but also being given too much drinking water by well-meaning parents.
“I just wanted to put this out there for those who don’t believe it matters and give their baby as much as they want. Breast milk or formula is plenty!!”
MORE Baby Health
⚠️ ⚠️ ⚠️I just wanted to make a Public Service Announcement!! Water intoxication is very real and can happen so…
What is water intoxication?
So what on earth is the water intoxication condition all about? If a baby ingests too much water – from a cup or bottle, during swimming lessons or in the bath – it dilutes their normal sodium levels and can potentially cause seizures and lead to coma, brain damage and death.
Symptoms of water intoxication may include confusion, drowsiness, twitching, cramps, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, breathing problems, poor coordination and weakness.
If you’re offering your baby water and they’re between six months and 1 year, a maximum of 60ml per day is recommended.