This is our go-to one bowl meal at my house. It’s so easy to make, very filling and you can throw all kinds of things in once you’ve got the recipe down pat.
I’ve popped some variations at the bottom of this post, but you should also be guided by what your family likes. It’s a bit like my Pick and Mix Soba Salad in that you can mix up little bowls separately for the picky eaters and then add all the extra bits and bobs or the more adventurous eaters.
It’s also a great salad to take to a BBQ. Here’s how to make it!
Speedy and easy tuna and rice salad recipe
Serves four – with enough for school lunch leftovers!
Speedy and easy tuna and rice salad recipe ingredients
- 1 425g tin of Sirena tuna in oil – with half the oil drained off
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 1 420g tin of corn, drained
- 1 handful of green beans, boiled until tender then chopped
- 1 punnet (250g) of cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered)
- 5 cups of cooked rice cooked to room temperature (cook 2 cups of uncooked rice to get the right amount)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- optional: 1/2 tablespoon of curry powder
- Step 1. Pop all the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Step 2. Mix together and tumble onto a large platter.
Serve with lime quarters if you fancy. I like mine with Sriracha.
Variations: make it vegetarian by ditching the tuna! Or switch the tuna for roughly chopped BBQ chicken. Add avocado, crushed garlic, chilli, cucumber, diced celery, steamed and diced broccoli, roasted almonds, almonds, leftover roasted vegetables … the sky is the limit! Spoon on some Greek yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon. Sprinkle with golden fried shallots. Switch the parsley for coriander.