This is one of those fabulously easy recipes that will have you busting out the slow cooker and whipping up this hearty, nutrient-rich meal with almost no effort at all.
Scroll to the bottom to see some suggestions on how to customise this recipe for your own family. If you happen to have any leftovers, they will be amazing on toast or in a jaffle – or as a side to a shop-bought charcoal chicken.
- Makes : 6
- Prep time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 4 hrs
Slow-cooked white bean and vegetable casserole ingredient
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- Fry the leek, garlic, herbs and paprika in olive oil until they begin to caramelise/brown around the edges. This helps give the stew a richer and more complex flavour.
- Put all ingredients except for the peas into slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high. Halfway through the cooking time, pop a wooden spoon in and put the lid back on, slightly ajar. This will help your casserole reduce down and have a richer flavour.
- Once ready, pop in the frozen peas and stir through the hot casserole. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your choice of garnishes/sides:
- Stir in some spinach and/or chopped silverbeet when cooked – at step 4.
- Add some chilli – at step 2.
- Garnish with a whopping dose of shaved parmesan.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Serve on a pile of fluffy mashed potato or with rice or just as is with some crusty bread.
- Keen to customise further? Some suggestions include …
- Add some chopped chorizo at step 1.
- Add some diced chicken at step 1.
- Add a slosh of white wine at step 1.
- Pop some in a thermos for a hearty school lunch with a dinner roll tucked alongside.