I am the worst when it comes to chocolate. I basically lack discipline in this area, with zero willpower and zero self-control, and so I rarely buy it. But, on occasion I will try a ‘healthier alternative’ of carob or cacao. So if you want something chocolatey minus the chocolate, welcome to my nibbles!
- Makes : 24
- Prep time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 3 mins
No-bake cacao and carob fruit ‘n’ nut nibbles ingredients
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp carob powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ cup macadamia halves
- ½ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup pepitas
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- handful freeze-dried blueberries
- Line a 20cm x 14cm tray (or a similar sized loaf tin) with plastic wrap. This is easier than it sounds, but persevere!
- Add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl, reserving a little of each of your mix-ins to add to the top after it’s poured in.
- Add the honey and melted coconut oil.
- Mix, making sure you don’t have any lumps of carob or cacao powder.
- Pour into the plastic wrap lined tin.
- Add the remaining nuts and fruit to the top of the slice, scattering them evenly. Pop in the fridge for two to three hours to set.
- Once set, remove from the tray and gently peel away the plastic wrap.
- With a sharp knife, cut the slab into nibble sized pieces – it will splinter - and you will have yourself a fantastic 3pm slump pick-me-up!
- This recipe makes approximately 400g.
- Do keep these tasty morsels in the fridge because they’ll melt at room temperature.
- I’ve added all of my regular fruit and nut pantry staples, including a handful of freeze-dried blueberries for added crunch into this mix.
- Diced dried apricots, grated ginger and cacao nibs would also be fab. Just add your favourite flavours.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.