Making your own sorbet is a surprisingly simple task and it means you know exactly what is going into your child’s body. It’s also a fun one to make with the kids and they will be so proud to eat the cool treats they made themselves.
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 6 hrs
Easy homemade orange sorbet ingredients
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until sugar has dissolved. I use an electric whisk for mine.
- If you are the happy owner of an ice-cream maker, now is the time to pop your mix in and churn until ready. No ice-cream maker? No worries. Pop your mixture into a freezer-safe container and into the freezer for 4-6 hours.
- Once your mixture is frozen, you are ready to take it from a frozen orange ice to a sorbet consistency. Have your blender at the ready because you will want to act quickly so your mixture doesn't melt during the process.
- Take the orange ice out of the container in large chunks and fill the blender. Blend until creamy smooth.
- Once you have that lovely, glossy sorbet consistency pop the mixture back into the freezer until ready to serve. Make sure you place it in a container with a lid so it doesn't ice up.
- You can make this delicious sorbet with any variety of oranges, but Valencias are an ideal match with their juicy sweetness.
- If you don’t have time to squeeze your own oranges, a carton of orange juice will also work.
- This recipe can be made with any type of juice, although you may want to adjust the amount of sugar you use as some fruits are sweeter than others.
- No ice-cream maker is required for this recipe, but you will need an electric blender.