Making your own sorbet is a surprisingly simple task and it means you know exactly what is going into your child’s body. It’s also a fun one to make with the kids and they will be so proud to eat the cool treats they made themselves.
Valencia oranges are now in season. These are a sweet variety, perfect for juicing, and an ideal match for this recipe. Of course, you can make this delicious sorbet with any style of oranges, but for summertime yums I recommend grabbing a box of Valencias. Or if you don’t have time to squeeze your own, a carton of orange juice will also work.
No ice-cream maker required for this recipe, but you will need an electric blender.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until sugar has dissolved. I use an electric whisk for mine. You might also use a blender, although I haven’t tried this myself.
- If you are the happy owner of an ice-cream maker, now is the time to pop your mix in and churn until ready
- No ice-cream maker? No worries. Pop your mix into a freeze safe container and into the freezer.
- Once your mix is frozen you are ready to take it from a frozen orange ice to a sorbet consistency. Have your blender at the ready because you will want to act quick so your mix doesn’t melt during the process.
- Take your orange ice out of the container in large chunks and fill the blender. Blend until creamy smooth.
- Once you have that lovely, glossy sorbet consistency pop the mix back into the freezer until ready to serve. Make sure you place in a container with a lid so it doesn’t ice up.
This recipe can be made with any type of juice, although you may want to adjust the amount of sugar you use as some fruits are sweeter than others.
For serves of sorbet ready on hand try using Sinchies reusable food pouches. These are great containers to freeze your sorbet inside and the kids can eat straight from the pouch. A cool idea for picnics or days at the beach.
Do you have a recipe that’s a hit every time? We want to know about it! You can send us your favourite recipes, and while we can’t reply to each submission, we’ll certainly let you know if your recipe is chosen to be shared with the Babyology community. We can’t wait to hear from you and look forward to seeing your culinary creations!