Looking for a simple starter for Easter that everyone will love? Look no further! This Easter bunny cob loaf recipe is just the ticket.
- Prep time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 30 mins
Easter bunny cob loaf with egg salad ingredients
- For the egg salad:
- 7 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 4 rashers bacon, finely diced
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 lemon - finely grated rind and 1 tablespoon juice
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed
- For the dippers (crudités) and bunny face:
- Crusty cob bread
- 2 thin hotdog rolls
- 2 black olives
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed, peeled and halved
- 1 packet baby cucumbers, halved lengthways
- 1 each red and yellow capsicums, sliced
- To make the egg salad:
- Place eggs into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Peel eggs and cut 2 centre slices from one of the eggs and reserve for the bunny eyes. Chop remaining eggs and place into a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and bacon and cook for 10 minutes or until tender and bacon is golden. Cool. Add to chopped egg.
- Add sour cream, mayonnaise, chives, lemon rind and lemon juice to egg mixture. Squeeze liquid from spinach and discard liquid. Add the spinach to egg mixture. Stir until well combined. Season.
- To make the cob loaf:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Trim top off cob to create a lid and remove soft bread from base, leaving a 2cm border. Tear soft bread into 3cm pieces and place onto prepared baking tray. Spray with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp, adding the cob for the final 10 minutes. Cool.
- Place base of cob onto a large board. Position top of cob above base forming the rabbit’s head. Trim hotdog rolls and place under head to form rabbit ears.
- Add reserved egg slices to rabbit head along with 2 slices of black olives for the eyes. Use chives as the whiskers and a slice of black olive for the nose.
- Spoon egg mixture into cob base. Serve egg salad cob with toasted bread, carrots, baby cucumbers and capsicum.
- This recipe serves 4-6 people.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.