The Australia Day long weekend is nigh and nobody wants to be wasting it in the kitchen. Whip up a delicious Aussie treat in no time with a few quick grocery cheats, then put your feet up and get busy relaxing.
Using a store bought pre made vanilla sponge cake, you’ve cut out all baking from this recipe and cut down on time significantly from the get-go. To save even more time, use a food processor to crumble and blend. Super!
460g plain pre-made, unfilled vanilla sponge cake
1/3 cup of pre-made vanilla frosting
250g dark chocolate melts
1 cup desiccated coconut
- Break the cake up into pieces and blitz in the food processor until you have fine crumbs.
- Add the frosting to the crumb mix and process until thoroughly combined and sticking together.
- Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls and set them on a baking paper lined tray. Put in the freezer for half an hour to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, in 20 second bursts, stirring between each one. Set yourself up a dip and roll station with the coconut in a big enough container to roll balls in.
- Dip the ball in chocolate using a fork, drop and roll it in the coconut and then set it back on the cool tray to set. Repeat for all balls.
This recipe makes around 35 balls. They are best kept in the fridge until you’re ready to eat them – they won’t stand up to our Aussie heat for long!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.