I always thought there wasn’t any possible way to improve the classic Anzac slice recipe that I have been making for years, that is until I added chocolate chips to it! This easy recipe is perfect to make with the kids (under supervision of course), however, you will have to make sure they don’t eat all of the chocolate chips before they go into the recipe!
- Makes : 24
- Prep time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 25 mins
Choc chip Anzac slice ingredients
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 150g butter, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 150g chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, oats, brown sugar and coconut and make a well in the centre – this is a great step for the kids to help you with.
- Chop the butter into pieces and place it along with the golden syrup into a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 second spurts until the butter has just melted. Stir to combine and set aside until needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water and then carefully add to the bowl with the melted butter and golden syrup. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a large metal spoon to mix until it’s just about combined – a metal spoon is best as the mixture doesn’t stick to it as much as a wooden spoon.
- Add the chocolate chips and working quickly, mix through.
- Pour the slice into your prepared pan and using the back of a spoon, press the mixture evenly into slice tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until the slice is golden brown.
- Carefully remove the slice from the oven and allow it to completely cool in the tray.
- Use the overhanging baking paper to remove the slice from the tin and cut into squares to serve.