One of the most well-kept secrets of parenthood is the lies you tell your children, and the lies you accept from your children.
Look, someone made a meme about it:
Okay, let’s call them white lies. That sounds more harmless …
Here’s some of the best as told to or by parents. And grandparents and neighbours, and … (well, you get the picture!):
1. “Sleep-ins exist”
They don’t. Sleep-ins fall into the category of fantasy once you’ve had kids.
2. “They were angels”
Usually said by grandparents. Watch how quickly they usher you out the front door before you believe it though. A speedy slam is a dead-set giveaway.
3. “I will get to that laundry/ironing/cleaning/tonight”
Once you’re a parent nothing of value happens after the kids are asleep. NOTHING.
4. “I’ll be like 30 minutes”
That’s something I’ve said leaving the house, knowing full well it was going to be more like two hours.
5. “I packed that away”
They didn’t. It’s still there, but you both know you don’t have time to go back and check.
6. “I didn’t hit him”
7. “I wiped my bum/washed my hands”
Let’s not talk about how we know when those things don’t happen. But we KNOW.
8. “They only watched TV for half an hour. The rest of the time we played outside.”
Usually, your partner says this when you’ve gone out for half an hour. (see #1)
9. “I don’t need to go to the toilet”
Bald-faced lie this one. They always do. Every time. Just not until you’re at least ten minutes down a freeway.
Read more about parenting:
- She’s better at it: The common myth that dads believe about mums
- Oops, I left my boy’s ‘Lovie’ at kindy overnight – and there was a thunderstorm
- “I can do it, Mum!” Raising an independent child 101
10. “We don’t hear anything from your place”
Usually said by the neighbours. It’s a lie. They do hear. EVERYTHING.
11. “I’m not tired”
Usually said by a small person who’s having trouble keeping their eyes open and yawning every five seconds.
12. “I didn’t eat that lolly off the floor”
Why are your hands and face sticky then?
13. “I didn’t fart”
The aroma in the room suggests otherwise.
14. “I’m not going to buy the kids anymore presents”
Usually said by the person smuggling something at the bottom of the Aldi bag.
15. “They were asleep by 8pm”
Usually said by your partner when everyone really stayed up and watched the iPad until mere moments before you got home.
16. “I only ate one”
Usually prefaces foods made almost 100 percent from sugar. They did not in fact just eat one, they ate heaps. Loads. They’ll be up for hours.
17. “It gets better”
Okay, so it does. This one is tricky. But the hardness doesn’t go away. The old type of hardness is replaced by a new type of hardness.
Got a little white lie you’d like to add to this list? NB: Doesn’t have to be a little one.