If sweet, tangy, soft and crumbly biscuits sound like something you’d enjoy with your mid morning cuppa, this super easy recipe is for you!
A deliciously soft and sweet biscuit, the secret really does lie in the icing. A lemon crisp biscuit sans icing is a little meek – but team it with the icing and I assure you, it packs an awesome punch.
- Makes : 24
- Prep time : 30 mins
- Cooking time : 10 mins
Lemon crisp biscuits ingredients
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup plain flour
- For the icing:
- Lemon juice
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 175°.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and mix lightly until combined.
- Drop 1½ teaspoons onto lined baking trays, leaving plenty of space between – they will spread a lot.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden. Let the biscuits cool on the tray for a minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
- For the icing: Mix enough straight lemon juice with the icing sugar to make a thick paste. Pour the icing mix into a zip-lock bag, snip the corner and drizzle it onto the biscuits.
- I recommend doubling this recipe. I know two dozen biscuits sounds like a lot, but these zesty gems go down the hatch in pairs. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
- This recipe is from Whisk Kid.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.