No beaters required, simply mix and bake this sultana and apple loaf cake. Laden with plump sultanas, apples and finished off with zesty lemon icing, it’s got to be (kind of) good for you, right?
There’s no easier cake to whip up than a loaf tin cake and with this recipe you can easily forgo the icing, but I urge you to at least try it with the icing once. An easy mix and bake recipe, it’s an excellent choice for afternoon tea when the kids burst through the door after school.
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 1 hr
Sultana and apple loaf ingredients
- 125g butter, melted
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup milk
- 1 apple, grated
- For the icing
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a deep 13 x 23cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar, flour, eggs, sultanas, apple, milk and lemon rind. Mix well until combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the loaf.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing: Combine the icing sugar and as much cinnamon as you can handle. Add the lemon juice and stir into a thick paste. Give it a quick heat in the microwave, uncovered on the high setting for around 40 seconds or until runny.
- Pour the icing over the loaf cake and though you won’t want to, it’s best to wait until the icing sets to slice and eat!
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.