For nachos full of flavour from your very own kitchen, step this way!
The best ‘a little bit naughty, a little bit healthy’ family meal around, nachos are an awesome treat. You can add grated carrot and zucchini to the mince to boost the veggie intake before mixing with the taco seasoning, if you like. My kids are so excited by having corn chips in a meal, they rarely even notice!
- Makes : 4
- Prep time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 10 mins
Quick & easy nachos ingredients
- 175g corn chips
- 1 cup red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red onion, diced
- 125g tin corn kernels, drained
- 120g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 200g beef mince
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (or more or less depending on your preferred taste)
- half an avocado (to serve, optional)
- sour cream (to serve, optional)
- Combine the red onion, corn and tomatoes in a bowl and mix to make your vegetable salsa. Set aside.
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, heat a teaspoon of oil and add the beef mince, breaking it up with a spoon as the beef browns.
- Add the red kidney beans and taco seasoning, and cook for a further few minutes. Turn the grill on to a medium low heat.
- In four individual heatproof bowls, or one bigger bowl, divide the corn chips between bowls and spread along the base. Spoon the mince and bean mix into each one, shuffling the corn chips a little so not to swamp them.
- Add the corn, tomato and onion salsa to each bowl.
- Top each bowl with grated cheese and place under the grill until cheese melts. Keep an eye on them, corn chips burn quickly!
- If your family loves avocado, dice and mash half an avocado to top your nachos while the cheese melts.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove the nachos from the grill and top with a dollop of sour cream, smashed avocado and a sprinkling of coriander if you're feeling fancy. For those who like it straight up, skip all the optional toppings. Yum!
- This recipe will make four small (child-sized) portions of nachos.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.