This cake is a fast cake to make and possibly even faster to eat! Whip it up in under ten minutes, whack it in the oven and it takes care of its Madeira magic all by itself.
This is a brilliant one to pop into lunchboxes or have in the cake tin in case visitors pop by. Maybe tuck it in your bag when you head off to Auskick? Pass it along the bench while you watch the kids at swimming?
If eating it at home, slather with some Lurpak or lemon curd or drizzle with cream for best results. The choice is yours!
- Makes : 10
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 1 hr
Quick and easy after-school Madeira cake ingredients
- 270 g self-raising flour
- 170 g caster sugar
- 170 g of softened unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla paste
Preheat oven to 180°C or 360°F
- Cream the vanilla, butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs a bit at a time, beating/whisking well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour until all the ingredients are just starting to combine.
- Add the milk and lemon zest. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until cooked and golden yellow. It will be starting to pull away from the sides of the pan and feel a bit bouncy when you touch the top.
- Allow the cake to cool and then cut into thick slices and serve buttered or with cream.
- You could even serve it with some lemon curd and berries if you are a bit fancy like that.