The thing about chicken drummies is that they’re always yummy. Make a real meal out of them by giving them some Mediterranean style, baked in rich passata sauce and topped with basil and salty capers. Delicious – and nearly as good as a holiday!
- Makes : 6
- Prep time : 5 mins
- Cooking time : 55 mins
One-dish Mediterranean chicken drumstick bake ingredients
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small red onions, sliced into wedges
- 1 large red capsicum, thickly sliced
- 700g tomato passata
- 1/3 cup Leggos sun-dried tomato stir-through sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 210°C. Find an ovenproof dish which will fit all your chicken drumsticks in a single layer.
- Rub each chicken drumstick in the minced garlic and oil. Place in the ovenproof dish. Roast for 20 minutes until skin is just starting to gain a touch of gold.
- Add the Spanish onion and capsicum to the dish. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until just starting to soften.
- Mix the passata with the sun-dried tomato stir-through paste. Pour it over the chicken and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, bake for a further 15 minutes or until it’s reached boiling point and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and add capers and fresh basil leaves.
- Serve with couscous, rice or even roast or mashed potato – whatever your tastebuds desire!
- If your kids aren’t up to tackling drumstick bones, swap them out for tasty chicken thighs (skin on).