The thing about chicken drummies is that they’re always yummy. Make a real meal out of them by giving them some Mediterranean style, baked in rich passata sauce and topped with basil and salty capers. Delicious – and nearly as good as a holiday!
An awesome winter warmer plate and perfect for the weekend, we love this tasty dinner best with a simple side of buttery couscous and crusty bread. Too easy! If your kids aren’t up to tackling drumstick bones, swap them out for tasty chicken thighs (skin on).
12 chicken drumsticks
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 small red onions, sliced into wedges
1 large red capsicum, thickly sliced
700g tomato passata
1/3 cup Leggos sun-dried tomato stir through paste / sauce
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons baby capers
fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 210°C. Find an ovenproof dish which will fit all your chicken drumsticks in a single layer.
- Rub each chicken drumstick in the minced garlic and oil. Place in the ovenproof dish. Roast for 20 minutes until skin is just starting to gain a touch of gold.
- Add the Spanish onion and capsicum to the dish. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until just starting to soften.
- Mix the passata with the sundried tomato stir-through paste. Pour it over the chicken and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, bake for a further 15 minutes or until it’s reached boiling point and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and add capers and fresh basil leaves.
Serve with couscous, rice or even roast or mashed potato – whatever your taste buds desire!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.