This gingerbread recipe is a cinch to whip up – I love the Thermomix Recipe Community recipe, but I want you to know, it’s just as easy to make using the stove top – you’ll just have a few extra dishes.
- Makes : 24
- Prep time : 1 hr
- Cooking time : 15 mins
Never-fail gingerbread men ingredients
- 120g butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 130g golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 1½ tbs ground ginger
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 370g plain flour
- To decorate: Smarties and/or shop bought or homemade royal icing
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Place syrup, sugar, butter, mixed spice and ginger into saucepan and heat on medium low heat, stirring until butter has melted. Transfer to large mixing bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add egg and mix until combined.
- Add sifted flour and bicarb and mix until combined.
- Mix or knead lightly for two minutes.
- Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Place the dough on a sheet of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a floured cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- If using, lightly press Smarties into the dough shape before baking.
- Bake for 8 -10 minutes, let sit on tray for a couple of minutes then carefully transfer onto cooling rack.
- Decorate with royal icing, if using.
- A manageable dough size, this recipe yields 24 gingerbread men – so the kids won’t get bored and you won’t be stuck in the kitchen all day making biscuits!
- In an attempt to keep it real, I’ve included an image of my youngster’s effort to decorate while left to his own devices. Just warning you what might occur when you throw decorating caution to the wind!