Looking for something to add to the lunch box besides the same old sandwich? Try a scroll instead! Sure these Vegemite and cheese scrolls look rustic as all get out, but the kids gobble them up all the same and the flavour options are endless!
I’m almost ashamed to admit that two of my kids don’t love Vegemite as much as I think they should as Aussie kids, but they still love the cheesiness with the lick of Vegemite in this recipe.
- Makes : 12
- Prep time : 1 hr 10 mins
- Cooking time : 30 mins
Lunch box Vegemite and cheese scrolls ingredients
- Dough ingredients:
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp dried instant yeast
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 750g baker's flour
- 100ml olive oil
- Filling ingredients:
- 2½ cups grated cheese
- Grease a baking tray or line with non-stick baking paper.
- Place water, yeast, salt, flour and oil into a mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined (you could do as I do and use the Thermomix, mixing on 6 seconds / speed 6 or use a food processor). Knead by hand on a floured surface (or the Thermomix knead function) for five minutes.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and work into a ball. Place into a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave in a warm area to prove for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Once doubled in size, knock down the dough and on a lightly floured surface, roll into a large 5mm thick rectangle – if you have a silicone sheet, I very much recommend using that to roll your dough out on to.
- Carefully spread Vegemite - using the back of a spoon helps - over the dough edge to edge – depending on how much your kids love the spread, be conservative with the Vegemite. Too much is a salty mistake to make.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the Vegemite – don’t forget the edges – and reserve a little of the cheese to put on top of the scrolls before baking.
- Carefully roll the long edge of the rectangle furthest from you, towards you, trying to keep the roll even. Keep rolling the scroll until the seam is underneath the log.
- Cut slices around 5cm wide (for lunch-roll sized scrolls). If you’re using a silicone mat or similar, use a pastry scraper to cut, not a knife!
- Place the scrolls on the baking tray, top with extra cheese and let prove uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them – you want them to turn a golden colour but not be overdone or the dough will be hard and not soft and fluffy.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
These scrolls are suitable to freeze.
Other flavours you can try instead of Vegemite and cheese are pizza sauce with ham and cheese or pesto with feta cheese. It’s all up to your own tastebuds what you want to have a crack at.