For an indulgent sweet treat, you really need to try this lemon and blueberry loaf! A slice of this easy, yet delicious cake will go perfectly with your cup of tea and it’s also a great treat to enjoy with friends.
You can use either fresh or frozen blueberries when making this recipe and it’s also freezer friendly, even when iced.
- Prep time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 50 mins
Lemon and blueberry loaf ingredients
- For the cake:
- 125 grams butter – softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups plain flour – plus 1 tbsp extra to sprinkle over the blueberries
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- ½ cup blueberries – fresh or frozen
- For the icing:
- 1¼ cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coconut to decorate – optional
- Line a large loaf tin with baking paper and preheat your oven to 160°C.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the softened butter, vanilla extract, caster sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, milk and lemon rind and mix on a low speed until all of the ingredients have just combined. Increase to a medium/high speed and mix for 2 – 3 minutes or until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the blueberries into a small bowl and sprinkle the extra flour over the top of them. Lightly toss until they are coated in the flour.
- Add the blueberries to the bowl with the cake mixture. Gently fold them through to combine with the loaf batter.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and place into the oven to bake for 50 minutes or until the cake is cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, prepare the lemon icing by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl and adding the lemon juice. Mix until it reaches a smooth and soft consistency. If your icing is a little too thick add ½ tsp of hot water until it’s the right consistency to spread over your loaf.
- Use a spatula or a butter knife to then spread the icing over the cake and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the icing to set.
- Your loaf mixture won’t be completely smooth due to the lemon rind pieces.
- It’s important to make sure your butter is at room temperature before using.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.