This old-fashioned slice is super easy to make and bakes up into a lovely moist and fruity afternoon tea delight!
- Makes : 1
- Prep time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 1 hr
Golden spiced apple slice recipe
- 400g Granny Smith apples
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup raw sugar + a little extra
- 2½ cups of self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- juice of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 180°C Line a rectangular baking tray with baking paper.
- Core and peel the apples. Cut into thin slices. Toss in the lemon juice to stop them from browning. Sprinkle the apple slices with the spices. A teaspoon of each would work well.
- Mix the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, baking powder and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Spread half the mix into the baking tray. It seems like there’s not enough, but there is, I promise! Think about spreading like you would on toast rather than filling the tray. Just get the coverage you can and don’t try to make it perfect.
- Add half the apples in a fairly even layer just like in the photo below. No need to arrange them neatly.
- Now pop the other half of the mix on top of the apples. Smooth it over as best you can, trying to get it into the corners especially. It will sort itself out once it’s in the oven and will rise a little higher than the tin, even.
- Now layer the rest of the apples on top and give it all a bit of a smoosh down. Sprinkle with a little extra raw sugar to help the slice top go brown and crunchy. Add a sprinkle of spices too. Yum!
- Bake for around an hour – or until really golden and nicely caramelised. A skewer popped into the middle should come out clean and free of any wet cake batter. Let it cool down before cutting into generous rectangle slices. Serve with cream, ice cream or yoghurt.
- Switch the apples out for pears or other sliced seasonal fruit.
- Use caster sugar for a finer texture.
- Throw in a handful of raspberries to make apple and raspberry slice.