New parents will love this one because you can whip it up quick and easy when guests are on their way. People will marvel at how you can bake such delicious treats with your arms full of baby, but shhh, we won’t tell them just how simple the recipe is!
When you first bring a baby home there seems to be an endless line of visitors wanting to drop by. If you’re like me you can’t help wanting to put out a plate of something, but who has the time to bake? Frankly, I hardly had the time to shop! One day I whipped up these from the meagre supplies at the back of the pantry and they have been a favourite ever since.
Three ingredients, ten minutes baking time, a few minutes to cool and you have scrumptious macaroons for your guests. Talk about a domestic wonder!
- Makes : 24
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 10 mins
Coconut macaroons ingredients
- 5 cups shredded coconut
- 1 tin (395g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-2 drops vanilla essence
- Place shredded coconut and condensed milk in a bowl and mix. For one small tin of condensed milk around five cups of coconut may do, but really what you want is a mix that will stand up when spooned onto the tray. Precise measurements are not necessary here.
- Add a couple of drops of vanilla essence.
- Spoon dollops of your mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. For perfectly round macaroons, I recommend balling with a soup spoon or getting the kids to roll the mixture into balls with their hands. Lots of messy fun!
- Place into the oven at 160C and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown on top
- Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool.
- From the amounts above I made 24 macaroons, although it may have been more if I could keep myself from nibbling bits of the uncooked mix!
- If you want to get extra fancy, dip them in some melted chocolate then allow to set in the fridge.
- Another great idea is to add some drops of food dye so your macaroons really stand out.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.