My sandwich naysayer of the family loves these bite sized morsels of cheesy frittata goodness – and I’m sure plenty of other kids out there will too!
Don’t be scared off by the leeks! When cooked, this vegetable turns into a lovely caramelised sweet version of itself – and paired with sharp parmesan, it’s a winning tasty combination for the lunch box. For this recipe you will need a mini cupcake pan (preferably silicone, or you can persevere with metal as I did here, they’re just a little more challenging to get out).
- Makes : 15
- Prep time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
Cheese and leek mini frittatas ingredients
- 10g butter
- 1 small leek (around 200g), sliced thinly
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Give your mini cupcake tray a really good spray with spray oil – you don’t want to risk anything sticking!
- Melt the butter in a medium sized frying pan and gently cook the sliced leek over medium heat, stirring for around 10 minutes or until soft and slightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly beat the eggs using a whisk in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the cooled leek and remaining ingredients to the beaten eggs. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the mini cupcake holes. There’s no avoiding a bit of mess – sad but true. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the cooked frittatas sit in the tin for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- This recipe yields around 15 mini frittatas, depending on the size of your tin.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.