My sandwich naysayer of the family loves these bite sized morsels of cheesy frittata goodness – and I’m sure plenty of other kids out there will too!
Don’t be scared off by the leeks! When cooked, this vegetable turns into a lovely caramelised sweet version of itself – and paired with sharp parmesan, it’s a winning tasty combination for the lunch box. For this recipe you will need a mini cupcake pan (preferably silicone, or you can persevere with metal as I did here, they’re just a little more challenging to get out).
1 small leek (around 200g), sliced thinly
½ cup of cream
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup of finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Give your mini cupcake tray a really good spray with spray oil – you don’t want to risk anything sticking!
- Melt the butter in a medium sized frying pan and gently cook the sliced leek over medium heat, stirring for around 10 minutes or until soft and slightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly beat the eggs using a whisk in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the cooled leek and remaining ingredients to the beaten eggs. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the mini cupcake holes. There’s no avoiding a bit of mess – sad but true. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the cooked frittatas sit in the tin for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
This recipe yields around 15 mini frittatas, depending on the size of your tin!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.