Is there anything nicer than a slice? We think not! This apricot and coconut number is perfect for every occasion. Morning tea … afternoon tea … school lunch … tick!
This slice is made up of three layers – a soft biscuit base, a jammy middle and a crumbly coconut top. It’s easy to make and once you’ve whipped it up and your family have polished it off you can make it all over again with a different jam filling. Yum!
Deliciously easy apricot and coconut slice recipe
Makes one slice which can be cut into 24 small pieces or 16 big pieces
Apricot and coconut slice ingredients
- 3/4 cup of plain flour
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1/4 cup of apricot jam
- 1/8 cup of cornflour
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups of desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 egg
Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F.
Line a 28cm x 18cm lamington or slice baking tin with baking paper.
Make the slice base
- Step 1. Beat the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until creamy and light.
- Step 2. Whisk in the egg.
- Step 3. Sift the cornflour and plain flour into the butter-sugar-egg mixture.
- Step 4. Mix together until combined and set aside for now.
- Make the slice topping
- Step 5. Put the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and creamy.
- Step 6. Whisk in the egg until nicely combined and smooth.
- Step 7. Mix in coconut and self raising flour. Set aside while we assemble the base and apricot layer.
- Assemble and bake the slice
- Step 8. Press the slice base mixture into a tin which has been lined with baking paper. Make sure to press into the corners and it’s easiest to use your hands to get good coverage. It will be just enough to fill the tin.
- Step 9. Spread the jam on the base. Do this carefully so as not to dig into the uncooked base. Get it all nicely covered.
- Step 10. Now we put the topping on. Dot it loosely all over the jam-covered base first. Then carefully press it down and push it into the corners and edges of the tin too. There will be just enough to cover the base and jam layer if you used the right-sized tin.
- Step 11. Pop into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Step 12. Allow the slice to cool and then cut into pieces.
- Step 13. Gobble it up with your favourite people!
Variations: Switch out the apricot jam for cherry jam, blackberry jam, strawberry jam … choose your favourite! Gift some to your child’s teacher so he or she has some surprise staff room sustenance. If you are nutty – and everyone’s allergy-free at home – you could add some chopped macadamia nuts to the coconut topping.