If you’re expecting a crowd for dinner, brownies are an excellent dessert option – and not just because they are so much better the day after they’re baked, allowing you to make them a day ahead and spend more time with your guests. They’re also just the right size to cure that post dinner craving for a little sweet something!
Presenting my go-to recipe for an awesome classic, delicious, chewy chocolate brownie.
- Makes : 16
- Prep time : 25 mins
- Cooking time : 30 mins
Classic chewy chocolate brownies recipe
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1½ cups white sugar
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- icing sugar to dust
- 200ml thickened cream, whipped to serve
- strawberries to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°c. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a large heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water – make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl (I’ve busted out my vintage Pyrex bowl, large enough to mix the whole recipe in). Stir the combined butter and chocolate with a metal spoon until it has melted. Don’t stop stirring or your chocolate could sieze! Once melted, remove from the heat.
- Working quickly, stir in the eggs, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla until just combined. Pour the rather delicious looking molten like mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out with just moist crumbs attached – not liquid mixture!
- Remove from the oven. Let the brownie slab cool completely in the tin.
- While cooling, whip your cream until soft peaks appear and slice your strawberries. When the brownie has cooled, slice into 16 pieces and dust lightly with icing sugar. Dessert is served!
This recipe makes 16 sweet brownie morsels. Less if you prefer your dessert less morsel-like.
Serve them in their naked glory or swathed in whipped cream and strawberries. Either way. I guarantee they’ll be a hit with everyone!
Make sure to browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.