These cute Christmas wreath biscuits make a great activity for the kids in the lead up to Christmas, and they can also double as a homemade gift or a decoration for your Christmas tree!
- Makes : 30
- Prep time : 1 hr
- Cooking time : 12 mins
Christmas wreath biscuits ingredients
- For the biscuits:
- 185 grams butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk, extra
- For the decorations:
- Writing icing pens
- Red and green M&M’s
- Coloured cachous
- You will also need a skewer and a roll of thin ribbon
- Place the softened butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on a medium-high speed for 4 minutes, or until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Add the flour, egg and extra egg yolk and beat on a low speed until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured bench and use your hands to bring it together (don’t worry, it will be crumbly) and lightly knead into a smooth ball. Cover in cling wrap and pop into the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and roll out dough (to a thickness of 5mm) between two sheets of baking paper. Use a 10cm biscuit cutter before using the 4cm cutter in the centre to make the ‘wreath’.
- Use your skewer to make a small hole in the top of the dough (this is where you will thread the ribbon through), then use an egg flip to carefully transfer the biscuit onto your prepared baking tray. Repeat until you have used all of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits begin to turn golden around the edges. Leave the biscuits to cool on the trays for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, cut a small piece of the ribbon and thread it through the hole you made in the top of the biscuit (if it has closed a little during baking you can use the skewer to carefully make it bigger) and use the icing and decorations to decorate your Christmas wreath biscuits as desired.
- You can make this dough a couple of days in advance and store in the fridge until needed.
- These biscuits will keep in an airtight container for up to one week.