Make individual pancake Christmas trees or a big stack to take centre stage on the table, whatever takes your festive fancy.
- Makes : 2
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
Christmas tree pancake stack ingredients
- 20g butter, melted
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tablespoons caster sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- green food colouring gel
- To decorate: icing sugar, mini M&Ms, star sprinkles, gold card, skewers or toothpicks
- First, make your star toppers. Trace a star shaped cookie cutter and cut out. Tape to a skewer or toothpick, or cut two slices to weave the skewer through. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, flour, salt, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, milk and egg. Whisk until smooth and lump free.
- Add a few drops of green food colouring. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat a large frying pan to a medium heat. Spray a cooking oil and pour the pancake mix to create different sized circular shapes from small to large (note: achieving perfect circles is tricky!). Wait for bubbles to appear and flip over to cook the other side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- On a plate, stack the pancakes to create a Christmas tree.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and decorate with M&Ms and sprinkles. Top with your gold star and you’re done!
This recipe makes two individual pancake stacks, but if you’re after a short cut, you could always use a supermarket pancake mix and add a few drops of food colouring. Super quick and no fuss.