What’s the best way to deal with this anti-social behaviour? Try these tips …
1. Understand WHY toddlers bite
The reasons why toddlers bite are varied. They include
- Experimentation – some toddlers bite because they are experimenting what their little chompers can do.
- Anger and frustration – they can’t articulate how they feel and so resort to biting. For example, when struggling to share or take turns with playmates.
- Feeling powerless – often the youngest child in the family is the biter because he can’t communicate his wants and needs like his older siblings can. In a group setting, this type of biter bites to get attention in the hope it will get him what he wants.
- Emotional stress – biting is a coping mechanism for some toddlers who are unable to articulate that they’re feeling upset.