If you’re a fan of children’s literature, spent a lot of your childhood in the library or bookstore and are expecting a baby, then you’ve landed in the right spot.
We’ve gathered up a bunch of brilliant baby names inspired by favourite books and excellent literary characters.
While some of these names are trusty old-school classics, others are a little more left of centre – in case that’s more your thing.
Without further ado here’s 35 ace choices for future little bookworms. There’s something for everyone and they’re guaranteed to have you itching to re-read some of your favourites.
35 brilliant baby names taken from classic kid’s books
Boys names from classic kids’ books
- Caspian – from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
- Max – from Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- Alexander – from Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
- Artemis – from Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
- Harry – from Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
- Huck – from Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Thomas – from Thomas the Tank Engine by Reverend Wilbert Awdry
- Christopher – from Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne
- Arthur – from the Arthur books by Marc Brown
- Stanley – from Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown
- Albus – from Harry Potter by JK Rowling
- Harold – from Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
- Iggy – from Iggy Peck, Architect by Andrea Beaty
- Frederick – from Frederick by Leo Leionni
- Duncan – from The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
Girls names from classic children’s books
- Lucy – from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
- Matilda – from Matilda by Roald Dahl
- Pippi – from Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
- Heidi – from Heidi by Joanna Spryi
- Laura – from Little House on The Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Madeline – from the Madeline books by Ludwig Bemelman
- Ramona – from the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary
- Sara – from A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Tabitha – from The Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
- Charlotte – from Charlotte’s Web by EB White
- Eloise – from the Eloise books by Hilary Knight
- Marilla – from Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
- Sophie – from The BFG by Roald Dahl
- Luna – from Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
- Maisy – from the Maisy Mouse books by Lucy Cousins
Gender-neutral names from classic children’s books
- George – from The Famous Five by Enid Blyton
- Charlie – from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Justice – from Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Rory – from Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Jess – from Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
We hope that’s provided you with some excellent inspiration for the little human you’re hatching!
Join the Bump and Baby: The Fourth Trimester online event! With live expert sessions, FREE newborn routine guide & the chance to WIN a $500 Nursery gift voucher. Click here to find out more and make sure you don’t miss a thing!