A mum’s warning about what she says are dangerous chemicals in a popular children’s bath bomb is a great reminder to consider the products kids are exposed to, however cheery and fun they might seem.
What GBG says about red no 33 vs someone who works for the FDA. PSA! Do NOT buy this for your children!Followed…
“Just a warning, people”
“Do NOT buy this for your children!” Jennifer Renee posted on Facebook explaining that she’d put the bath bomb in her daughter Willow’s bath, with worrying and painful results. Jennifer says it took less than a minute for her daughter’s skin to flare up as a result of this product.
“Followed directions on package and placed in her bathtub. Thought it would be fun for her because there was a toy inside,” Jennifer explained.
“After being in the water 30-45 seconds she stated her skin was hurting, upon looking she has received a chemical burn from a KIDS BATH BOMB. (No she was not holding it and she has used multiple different kinds of bath bombs and never had this reaction) Just a warning, people.”
Jennifer said this reaction was unexpected, because they’d used the product, and others that are similar, previously without incident.
“She has had these before and all different brands. I called the company and the batch number being investigated and is likely going to be recalled as numerous reports have been made (not all the burning reaction she got).”
While Jennifer thinks it’s a quality control issue, and possibly a rare occurrence, she again urged parents to approach these sorts of products with caution.
“It is so easy for a person working in a factory to overdo the ingredients in a batch and just ignore it. Went to the doctor this morning and it was in fact a chemical burn not a reaction. I am posting this just in hopes people will monitor closely. Everyone loves bath bombs. Lesson learned. All natural ones from now on.”
“Her hands are all red”
Jennifer’s warning on Facebook very quickly went viral, as concerned parents and grandparents flagged their Hatchimal-loving family members in the post. Others said they’d dealt with the same sort of reaction.
“My daughter’s face looked like your daughter’s hands. I wish I would have taken a picture,” one mum posted.
“We bought our granddaughter one of those eggs and it’s the same numbers and colour – and now her hands are all red,” another sympathised.
But others said they’d had no issue with the Hatchimals Bath Bombs, and agreed it must be a bad batch or bad luck.
“My daughter has had a bath with one it was blue and she had no problems so probably just a bad batch.”
“Premature to comment further”
Myth-debunking site Snopes got in touch with Spin Master, the company who licensed the Hatchimals products, to get their view on the “dangerous” bath bombs, but they were unable to comment at this point.
“Spin Master was made aware of the situation via a Facebook post and we are in the process of looking into the matter with the licensee company to whom Spin Master licensed the Hatchimals brand. We are saddened to learn about a young girl’s injuries. That said, it would be premature to comment further on the situation until we learn more. We are working closely with the product’s licensee manufacturer and distributor to determine whether there are any product issues.”
It’s certainly a reminder to be careful about the products we use on our kids at bathtime, especially leading up to the festive season when well-intentioned gifts might pose problems for sensitive skin.
Have you used this product – or similar – in your child’s bath?