With a cute Smartie tail and marshmallow feet, these bunny tail biscuits are almost too cute to eat!
This is a great recipe to make with the kids, as there are lots of jobs for them to help you out with (or for the older ones to do themselves), you will just need to make sure that they don’t eat all of the decorations first!
- Makes : 36
- Prep time : 45 mins
- Cooking time : 15 mins
Easter bunny tail biscuit ingredients
- For the biscuits:
- 185g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 egg + 1 extra egg yolk
- For the icing:
- 1½ cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1½ tbsp boiling water
- Red food colouring
- 36 Smarties
- 36 marshmallows – you will need two packs
- A tube of ‘writing icing’ in the colour of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the softened butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract and mix on a medium speed for 3–4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the plain flour, egg and extra egg yolk and beat on a low speed until the ingredients begin to combine (you don’t want flour flying everywhere!) and then gradually increase to a medium speed and mix until a dough begins to form.
- Turn the dough out onto a bench which as been dusted with flour, and lightly knead to bring it into a ball. Wrap in cling wrap and pop it into the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Roll out the chilled dough to a thickness of 5mm between two sheets of baking paper and use an 8cm round biscuit cutter to cut out the circles. You can use a glass if you don’t have a cutter. Place the biscuits onto your prepared baking tray and repeat until all of the dough has been used.
- Place the trays into the oven and bake for 12–15 minutes or until the vanilla biscuits are golden around the edges. Allow them to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the biscuits have cooled, combine the icing ingredients, adding a drop or two of the food colouring at a time, and mix together until the icing is the colour you desire and a smooth and spreadable consistency – you want to be able to smear the icing onto your biscuits with a spatula.
- Ice the cooled biscuits while on the wire rack.
- Then it’s time for the best part! Place a Smartie into the centre of your biscuit to create the bunny tail and then slice a marshmallow in half and use the ‘writing icing’ to draw on the pads of its feet. Use a little extra icing to attach the feet to the iced biscuit if needed.
- Repeat until all of your biscuits are decorated – just make sure you don’t eat all of the lollies first!
Browse our recipe section for more great meals and treats to try.