Christmas day has been and gone, Boxing day also. So now what to do now with the leftover Christmas ham when you can no longer bear to eat another cold slice? Pizza, of course!
Here I give you my most favourite recipes for making your own pizza basics, pizza dough and a scrumptious pizza sauce using your Thermomix. This pizza sauce recipe is amazing atop a pizza base, but also for using in homemade pizza scrolls, pinwheels and stromboli, it’s a great all-rounder.
Pizza sauce ingredients:
1 kilo tomatoes, ripe & cut into quarters
180g red capsicums, cut into pieces
130g red onions, cut into quarters
2 garlic cloves
100g red wine vinegar
(add any herbs you like, plus I always add a handful of fresh basil)
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
Pizza sauce method:
- Place tomatoes, capsicums, red onions, garlic and 50g of the red wine vinegar into mixing bowl, chop 5 seconds, speed 7, MC on.
- Cook 40 minutes, Varoma temp, speed 2, placing the simmering basket on top of the lid instead of MC.
- Add remaining red wine vinegar, spices, salt and honey. Using the simmering basket on top again, cook 15 to 20 minutes/ Varoma temp/ speed 2 until the mixture has thickened.
- Replace the simmering basket with the MC. Mix for 1 minute, working your way up to speed 10. Transfer into an airtight container.
This recipe makes about three cups of sauce. Freeze or refrigerate.
Pizza dough ingredients:
220g room temperature water
2 tsp yeast
400g bakers flour
1 tsp salt
Pizza dough method:
- Heat the yeast and water for 1 minute/ 37 degrees/ Speed 1.
- Add the flour and salt and mix for 6 seconds/ Speed 6.
- Knead for 5 minutes/ interval speed.
- Knead on a floured surface into a ball.
- Place into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and place into a warm spot for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and knead the dough again by hand on a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out to make one large 25 cm round dough base – or small mini pizzas.
- Place the dough onto the tray or preheated pizza stone, prick the surface with a fork.
- Add your pizza sauce and favourite toppings, your imagination is the limit!
- Cook in an oven preheated to 200°c for 20 minutes or until the base is crispy.
Do you have a recipe that’s a hit every time? We want to know about it! You can send us your favourite recipes, and while we can’t reply to each submission, we’ll certainly let you know if your recipe is chosen to be shared with the Babyology community. We can’t wait to hear from you and look forward to seeing your culinary creations!