Cake doesn’t get much easier and simpler than this! If you love all things lemon and light, here’s a cake recipe perfect for you.
Full of citrusy goodness and a beautiful moist crumb – thanks to the sour cream addition, the lemon sour cream cake is nice and quick for whipping up for kids’ lunch boxes or just good ol’ fashioned afternoon tea.
And this no-fuss approach with no icing means it’s a quick bake from start to finish, which sits especially well with me since I have no patience when it comes to eating anything involving lemon.
- Prep time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 35 mins
Lemon sour cream cake ingredients
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup of self-raising flour
- ½ cup of sour cream
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Lightly grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
- Place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Using an electric beater, mix until the butter and sugar is creamy and light in colour.
- Add the eggs and beat well. Add the lemon zest and beat that in too.
- Fold in half of the flour and then half of the combined sour cream and lemon juice mix. Once folded through, fold in the the remaining flour, followed by the rest of the sour cream and lemon mix.
- Pour the mix into your prepared cake tin and smooth it over so it’s evenly spread. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack, tip out of tin and let cool completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar (a tea diffuser works a treat for this) and if feeling particularly decadent, serve with a side of cream.