Sprinkles make everything fun, right? Take one humble, albeit delicious vanilla cupcake and give it a party all of its own with sprinkles throughout its crumb. Click on through to see how!
To be fair, this isn’t the dieters friend of cupcakes, this is special treat only – dictated by the mountain of lush buttercream icing piped on top. None the less, let’s hop to it.
1½ cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
110g butter, melted
1¼ cups caster sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla paste
3/4 cup milk
½ cup sprinkles, plus extra for decorating
For the icing
300g icing sugar
120g butter, room temperature
2 tbs milk
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Add melted butter to a large bowl and mix in the sugar with an electric mixer until thick and yellow. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Lastly add the vanilla extract to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture and milk alternately, being careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the sprinkles and divide between the cupcake cases, filling each one just over half full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Using an electric mixer beat in the butter and add one tablespoon of milk. If the mix is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Spread on to each cupcake or if feeling fancy, get your piping bag and tip out.
- Pipe swirls on to each cupcake and top with extra sprinkles before the icing dries!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.