I’m all for saving time at the pointy end of the day – when the afternoon is filled with taxiing kids, answering homework questions and folding laundry (or for those of us currently in lockdown – collapsing in a heap after yet another endless day) – so a slow cooker can come in mighty handy. This delicious chicken recipe not only does the brunt of the work for one meal, but two!
You don’t need to cook this recipe in the slow cooker, but like most families, there’s that one day of the week that’s busier than the rest and if a bit of extra work at lunch time means less for me to do at dinner time, I’m all for it.
This dish yields a lot of fluid, which is handy because you can effectively get two meals from this one recipe by adding an extra piece of chicken – yes, one recipe – dinner for two nights!
I virtually high five all of you, we are all winning at dinner.
- Prep time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 4 hrs
Creamy slow cooker chicken ingredients
- 5 chicken breasts (one for each person - don't forget the extra breast if you're cooking for two dinners)
- ⅓ cup semi sun-dried tomatoes in oil (straight from the jar is perfectly fine)
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, plus extra to serve
- salt and pepper
- Combine your flour with a good grind of pepper and a pinch of salt. Add both the seasoned flour and the chicken to a plastic bag or a sealed container and give a good shake, ensuring your chicken is completely coated with the flour.
- Add the olive oil to a fry pan and heat over medium high heat. Shaking off excess flour, cook the chicken pieces for 2 to 3 minutes both sides to get a nice golden colour on the outside. Turn your slow cooker on the low temperature setting to warm up a little while while you wait.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- From the sun dried tomatoes, set a few pieces to the side to chop up and garnish, but as for the rest, pop them in on top of the chicken. Shred your basil leaves and add them too.
- Finally, pour in the chicken stock. Cook on low setting for four hours.
- When four hours are up, remove the chicken from the slow cooker, set aside and keep warm.
- Add the cream to the bowl and stir to combine – turn your slow cooker up to high and heat for around five or so minutes with the lid off. Add a crack of pepper, the reserved chopped sun dried tomato and basil before serving, and you’re done!
Now, how to spin the meal out further
I serve four chicken breasts and half of the sauce one night with couscous and steamed veg (or it’s equally delicious with mashed sweet potato and steamed greens).
For the second night, I take that extra breast and shred it, adding it to the remaining sauce. Heat it up on the stove or in the microwave, add cooked pasta and mix it through, topping it off with a generous shaving of parmesan cheese – too easy!
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.