Everyone needs to try making their own baby rusks at home. Believe me when I say they’re ridiculously easy to make. Not only will you have a yum teething snack on hand, you’ll also save money on your grocery bill – and have an endless supply of salad and soup croutons.
Babies love chewing on rusks, so much so that they’ll be a valued pantry staple before you know it. But when your babe often ends up wearing more than they consume, they can become a costly commodity – so why not make your own?
All you need is half a dozen slices of stale wholemeal bread to get you started. As your little one gets older, you can smear the tiniest of tiniest amounts of Vegemite on the bread before slicing and baking to add a bit of flavour.
- Makes : 18
- Prep time : 5 mins
- Cooking time : 1 hr
Homemade baby rusks ingredients
- 6 slices wholemeal bread (preferably slightly stale)
- Preheat the oven to a slow 120°C.
- Remove the crusts from each slice of bread.
- Cut each slice of crustless bread into three equal pieces and place on a baking tray.
- Bake slowly for an hour or until the bread is dry and hard like a crouton. Let the rusks cool and store in an airtight container – that’s it!
Make sure to browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.