The kids are safely tucked up in bed, you’ve settled into the warm cosy couch and you’re ready for your favourite TV show, when you’re hit with a craving for something sweet. Don’t despair, this quick microwave mug cake recipe is excellent for knocking that craving on the head!
First and foremost, find a big mug suitable for the microwave. Nothing will dampen this quick recipe like having to clean the microwave of cake mess otherwise. This recipe makes one large serve mug cake.
- Makes : 1
- Prep time : 5 mins
- Cooking time : 1 min 30 secs
Quick microwave chocolate mug cake ingredients
- 1/3 cup of self-raising flour
- 1 heaped tbs of good quality baking cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1½ tbs of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs of milk
- 1 tbs of butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- mini marshmallows and ice cream for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Stir the brown sugar into the mix.
- In another small bowl, whisk with a fork the egg, milk, butter and vanilla.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry flour mixture and stir with a fork until it just comes together.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the large mug.
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook it on the high setting for one and a half minutes. Keep an eye on it as it may take less time, depending on your microwave power. Cook until it has risen and is set on the top surface.
- How you want to dress it up is entirely up to you – it’s delicious toasty warm in its natural state. Alternatively, dust with a little extra cocoa, toss a few marshmallows on that warm spongy surface and top with a scoop (or two) of ice cream. Sugar craving met!
- You will need a 500ml capacity microwave-safe mug for this recipe.
- Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.