Everyone needs a sweet something hidden away in the fridge or freezer for when friends drop in for coffee, or perhaps more realistically, for a quick sweet hit before school pick-up. Or that could be just me. These delicious bite-sized morsels marry the zing of lemon with the sweetness of condensed milk for a delectable sweet treat.
This recipe comes together both easily and quickly in a food processor, but don’t despair if you don’t have one. You can crush the biscuits with a rolling pin and mix it all together in a mixing bowl. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
1 x 250g packet Arnott’s Milk Arrowroot biscuits
2 large lemons
1 x 400g tin condensed milk
1½ cups desiccated coconut
¼ tsp vanilla paste or essence
½ cup desiccated coconut, extra
yellow food colouring
- Because we’re fancy, we’re going to colour the coconut we roll the balls in. Tip half a cup of coconut into the food processor with a few drops of yellow food colouring. Give it a couple of pulses to spread the colour evenly. Tip into a bowl and set aside. Alternatively, knead the coconut and dye together in a plastic bag until the colour is even.
- Remove the zest from the lemons and cut in half to juice.
- Put the biscuits in the food processor bowl and pulse until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon rind, condensed milk, 1½ cups of coconut and vanilla paste to the biscuit crumbs. Process or mix until completely combined.
- Roll tablespoons of mixture in your hands (damp hands work best) and roll each ball in the coloured coconut. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. Delicious!
This recipe yields around 40 lemon balls. Keep them handy for quick gifts and quick sweet hits with that afternoon coffee.
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.