A must-try for pizza lovers, this lunchtime treat has all the taste of a Hawaiian pizza in the form of a lunch box-friendly savoury muffin. I give you the pizza muffin. Oh, yes I do.
An awesome shake up to the sandwich scene, muffins are a great lunch box option. This pizza muffin recipe is a basic building block – top it up with extras like diced capsicum and pepperoni and you could almost convince yourself your muffin is actually pizza. Yum!
3 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1½ cups grated cheese
150g diced ham
1 cup pineapple pieces, drained
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp pizza sauce or tomato paste
1 cup of milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a large Texas muffin pan by either lining with baking paper or using an oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of the pineapple, all the ham and 1 cup of the cheese. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, pizza sauce, eggs and milk.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined and there are no pockets of flour.
- Spoon into the muffin pan. Top each muffin with the reserved cheese and pineapple. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from the muffin tin and let cool on a wire rack. We love them warm from the oven, but the kids will also eat them cold!
This recipe yields 10 large muffins.
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.