Keep lunch boxes fresh and inviting by changing the contents often. A savoury muffin makes for great lunchtime fare – and when made in a big Texas muffin pan – they’re a fantastic big lunch for filling up little bellies!
Another great recipe for smuggling vegies, this savoury muffin recipe is bound to be a hit with kids and adults. Truth be told, savoury muffins even make for a great breakfast on the run if you have to be out the door super quick or early in the morning. Don’t be fooled into skipping the fruit chutney in this recipe – it adds a lovely sweetness to the muffin that can’t be beat.
1½ cups self-raising flour
2 cups tasty cheese, grated
150g ham, diced
1 zucchini, grated
½ brown onion, grated
¾ cup milk
¼ cup fruit chutney
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a large Texas (6 x ¾ cup capacity) muffin tin and line the bases with baking paper. Alternatively, use large cafe-style muffin cases, found in the baking aisle of large supermarkets.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the grated cheese, zucchini, ham and onion to the flour and mix well to combine.
- Whisk the milk, egg and chutney in a separate jug or small bowl until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry flour and veg mix and add the milk mixture in the well. Using a spatula, gently mix together until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin holes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Stand in the muffin tin for three minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
I like mine cut in half with a generous buttering, but the kids are happy to leave theirs whole. Pair with a small container of salad makings and you have yourself a great looking (and delicious tasting) school lunch!
This recipe yields six large muffins and is suitable for freezing. Feel free to add extra vegetables to the recipe – chopped chives, corn kernels and chopped sun-dried tomato all make tasty additions.
Do you have a recipe that’s a hit every time? We want to know about it! You can send us your favourite recipes, and while we can’t reply to each submission, we’ll certainly let you know if your recipe is chosen to be shared with the Babyology community. We can’t wait to hear from you and look forward to seeing your culinary creations!