This is a delicious recipe that’s pretty much 1000 times better than KFC and lets you tuck a whole bunch of yummy veggies alongside the fried chicken.
Granted it’s not totally Japanese style, due to the five spice powder, but it’s got a super healthy Japanese sensibility, especially if you choose a healthy oil like canola.
Japanese-style chicken and vegetable rice bowl recipe
This tastes just as brilliant cold the next day, and if there’s anything left over you can tuck it into lunchboxes too!
Japanese-style chicken and vegetable rice bowl ingredients
- 500g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of five spice
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 2/3 cup of plain flour
- 2/3 cup of potato starch
- salt and pepper
- sesame seeds for garnish
- chives or coriander or other fresh herbs for garnish
- oil for deep frying
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 cup of shredded carrot (we bought this ready-prepared from supermarket)
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup of preferred vegetables – e.g. broccoli, cauliflower – microwaved until tender – (supermarket fresh ready-prepared packs are great for this!)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Japanese kewpie mayonnaise
- Step 1. Put your rice on to cook. Chop the garlic and ginger finely and mix with the soy sauce in a large bowl.
- Step 2. Cut the chicken into smallish pieces and put into the soy sauce mixture to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Step 3. Mix the flour, potato starch and five spice powder together in a large bowl.
- Step 4. Coat the marinated chicken pieces in the flour mix.
- Step 5. Deep fry in very hot oil until golden. You can use a deep fryer or do this in a pot on the stovetop. Be careful with hot oil though! Drain the golden-fried chicken on paper towel.
- Step 6. Spoon cooked and hot rice into bowl. Add the chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, fresh herbs and more soy sauce. Serve with kewpie mayo or your preferred condiments.