A popular slice in our home, and one that my mum and the local CWA ladies used to make constantly when I was growing up, is the classic jam and coconut slice. A combination of buttery biscuit base, that lush sticky jam centre and nutty toasted coconut on top. What’s not to love about this nostalgic treasure? An oldie but a goodie, this jam and coconut slice recipe hails from the Aussie queen in the kitchen herself, Donna Hay.
I’ve used my favourite raspberry jam for this recipe, but you can use any jam you like – they all work with this recipe!
- Makes : 18
- Prep time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 45 mins
Jam and coconut slice ingredients
- For the slice:
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 cups plain flour
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup of raspberry jam
- For the coconut topping:
- 3 cups of shredded coconut
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Prepare a 20cm x 30cm slice tray by giving it a light grease and lining it with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the sugar, coconut, flour into a bowl and add the melted butter. Mix until combined.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared slice tin. With clean hands, press it evenly along the base and into the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden, then remove the tin from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Spread the base with the jam.
- To make the coconut topping, whisk the egg whites lightly in a large mixing bowl. Add the coconut and mix until well combined.
- Again with clean hands (the best tools in the kitchen), gently sprinkle the coconut topping over the top. I say gently because you don’t want it clumpy – if you do a couple of sprinkled layers, you make sure the jam is completely covered and it’s an even spread.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the slice to cool completely in the tin before cutting and serving.
- Browse our recipe section for more great meals and treats to try!