Looking for dinner inspiration of the kind you know the kids will eat, is budget friendly and tastes finger licking good? Our recipe for honey soy chicken is the answer!
Honey soy chicken is a long time favourite with my kids and one we’re happy to eat both hot and cold. It also travels really well cold, the kids are only too happy to take leftovers for school lunch – should we be lucky enough to have leftovers!
This marinade recipe is enough to cover a dozen chicken drumsticks, or as I have done here, a mixture of drumsticks and wings.
- Prep time : 1 hr
- Cooking time : 50 mins
Honey soy chicken ingredients
- 12 chicken drumsticks (or a mixture of drumsticks and wings)
- ½ cup of light soy sauce
- ¼ cup of honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 spring onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- extra sliced spring onion or coriander to garnish
- Combine the soy sauce and honey in a small bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic and diced spring onion to the soy sauce mix. Stir to combine.
- Find a container to fit all the chicken in a single layer (alternatively, use a snap lock bag) and pour the marinade over the top of the chicken. Leave it in the fridge for an hour, turning it once or twice in that time. Heat the oven to 200ºC when the marinating time is nearly up.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in a lasagne dish or roasting pan (something with sides) and cover with half of the honey soy marinade. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C before knocking it back to 180°C for another 30 minutes or until cooked through. Turn the chicken from time to time.
- Once done, garnish with chopped coriander or spring onion – alternatively, if the kids find greenery offensive, straight to the table!