Ditch the cans and make your own deliciously easy tomato soup! Not going to lie, the mainstay of my winter lunch menu is soup. I have four varieties on high rotation but one of my favourites is good ol’ classic tomato.
- Makes : 4
- Prep time : 30 mins
- Cooking time : 30 mins
Hearty tomato soup ingredients
- 100g bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- half a brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs of plain flour
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 800g tin of whole tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- OPTIONAL: thickened cream, chopped flat leaf parsley and grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- In a casserole pot over medium heat, fry the bacon pieces until they start to brown and crisp up.
- Add the carrots, onion and garlic to the bacon. Saute for around five minutes until the vegetables start to become tender.
- Add the tomato paste. Cook, stirring for a minute or two until the paste turns a darker red colour.
- Add the flour and stir, cooking for a further minute.
- Add the chicken stock to the casserole pot.
- In a bowl or jug, crush the tomatoes (and their juice) with a potato masher. Pour the tomatoes into the casserole pot with the vegetables and stock.
- Add a bay leaf, stir and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When cooked through, allow to cool slightly and using a stick blender, blend the soup smooth in batches. If using a food processor or blender, allow the soup to cool quite a lot. Do not blend boiling hot liquids.
- Season and serve. For a creamier soup, add a dollop of thickened cream to each bowl. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Don’t forget some garlic bread dippers!
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.