Ditch the cans and make your own deliciously easy tomato soup! Not going to lie, the mainstay of my winter lunch menu is soup. I have four varieties on high rotation but one of my favourites is good ol’ classic tomato.
- Makes : 4
- Prep time : 30 mins
- Cooking time : 30 mins
Hearty tomato soup ingredients
- 100g bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- half a brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs of plain flour
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 800g tin of whole tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- OPTIONAL: thickened cream, chopped flat leaf parsley and grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- In a casserole pot over medium heat, fry the bacon pieces until they start to brown and crisp up.
- Add the carrots, onion and garlic to the bacon. Saute for around five minutes until the vegetables start to become tender.
- Add the tomato paste. Cook, stirring for a minute or two until the paste turns a darker red colour.
- Add the flour and stir, cooking for a further minute.
- Add the chicken stock to the casserole pot.
- In a bowl or jug, crush the tomatoes (and their juice) with a potato masher. Pour the tomatoes into the casserole pot with the vegetables and stock.
- Add a bay leaf, stir and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When cooked through, allow to cool slightly and using a stick blender, blend the soup smooth in batches. If using a food processor or blender, allow the soup to cool quite a lot. Do not blend boiling hot liquids.
- Season and serve. For a creamier soup, add a dollop of thickened cream to each bowl. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Don’t forget some garlic bread dippers!
- Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.