For those who want something sweet yet crunchy, all wrapped up in a handy, no-mess muffin case, this banana walnut muffin recipe is for you!
Delicious muffins filled with fruit and topped with nuts, I’m turning a blind eye to sugar and just focusing on the healthy elements here. If it’s a healthier option you’re after, try cutting back the sugar and replacing with honey.
- Makes : 12
- Prep time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
Banana nut muffin ingredients
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (3 to 4 bananas)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 80g packet of walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
- Slice bananas into a bowl. Mash with the back of a fork and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the flour, sugars, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl or jug, whisk together the oil, egg and vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the oil and egg mix in. Stir until mostly combined.
- Add the banana and sour cream. Mix until completely combined.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases. Sprinkle the top of each muffin case with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until muffins spring back when touched gently in the middle. Allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.